Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #32617

Unfiltered | February 6, 2017

(It’s been a whole year since I’ve graduated from University in the UK. Around the time this story occurs, the second years are in the process of returning for their final year, and get to select their individual studios. I check my Facebook one afternoon after work and see a typical start of year studio conversation. One such comment, from a second year whom I never got along with due to irrelevant reasons, posts this comment as I’m reading:)

Student #1: I’ll be taking Studio #16…which looks like it’s ran by a pedo…..sweeeeeeeeeeet :)

(I quietly scoff, thinking nothing of the silly comment. However I return to the same conversation five minutes later to another comment by him:)

Student #1: I bet this guy likes ten year olds lmao! (tutor for studio 16)

(I see that through an image he’s also attached to this comment that he is identifying the tutor he is talking about MY Dissertation Lecturer. I’m furious, and I quickly prepare to deliver a serious case of whoopass to the idiot posting these extremely slanderous comments. However, as I finish typing up my comment a sudden wave of restraint and realisation hits me – this is after all, his very last year and I don’t really want to be the one responsible if anything happens to him because of my intervention. I don’t post the comment, but I also don’t delete it. I leave the tab before spending two days on looking up the definition of ‘Libel’ as well as consult a friend of mine who unbeknownst to me was also taught by this particular lecturer. Keep in mind that the only reason why I want to intervene is because of the massive amounts of respect I have and still do for my Dissertation Lecturer. I give it two days before I return to the same comment page, and post a reply:)

Me: Wow (Student #1). First off, you’re a f*****g idiot. Second, I do hope you realise that every single thing you have written in regards to (Dissertation Lecturer), should he ever be shown your disgusting and appalling commentary can easily be treated by the University as Libel? Since what you’re publishing isn’t true but is also highly slanderous to (Dissertation Lecturer), any action governed by the University would easily result in your expulsion or even arrest.

(This is true, in the UK you CAN be arrested and criminally charged for publishing false information, intentionally or non-intentionally.)

And finally, since you have posted your comments publicly, in a group where many people know (Dissertation Lecturer), as well as being that much of an idiot to add his picture and name to your further commentary – I really do not believe it would be at all hard for somebody to show (Dissertation Lecturer) your comments. I would seriously and strongly recommend you get rid of these comments before someone shows less restraint than I have.

(I check back 2 minutes later. The entire comment, including the original comment is gone, indicating to me that another student who posted the original where Student #1’s comment belonged deleted the whole thing, so it’s possible that he never heeded my advice.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!