Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #287907

, | Unfiltered | April 2, 2023

We are currently 6 months in to the pandemic, and I had to cancel my one vacation of the year over it. So I am mildly salty about what happens next.

First of all, I love my husband’s family but they all lack basic common sense and are gullible. All of them. So when a certain leader of the free world says the pandemic is over, they believe him without question despite evidence to the contrary.

My SIL and BIL decide it is a beautiful idea to go to the cesspool known as Los Vegas as they are currently experiencing an outbreak. They invite my husband to go along, to which I tell him I won’t feel comfortable and will quarantine him when he gets home, but can go if he really wants to. He decides to be the beacon of reason and not go upon seeing the numbers and itenary – lots of closed crowded place. They go anyway and have fun, but a month after coming back is when this all comes to head.

SIL: Hey [My name] have you ever been to Vegas?

Me: Yes?

(For the record it is a 4 hour drive away. Not something across the country so most people in my town go there when they turn twenty-one.)

SIL: *confused how to take it but determined* Oh well, it is really fun!

Me: *pauses waiting for there to be a point* OK?

SIL: There is lots to do there. Like gambling.

Me: …. OK?

SIL: I thought you might like to gamble…

Me: *trying to be polite* Sorry. I don’t.

Cue telling me all the (crowded) places they went to with BIL chiming in. It becomes apparent they think I am being a snob because of my cancelled trip’s destination, and the reason their brother didn’t go with them.

SIL: *concludes* We are going in February if you want to come with?

Me: If [Husband] wants to go he is welcome to go, but I am not going anywhere until this pandemic is over.

SIL: *geninuely confused* What do you mean? Its next year.

Me: The pandemic will last at least until mid-next year, probably longer?

SIL: Oh I didn’t know that.

Me: *internal scream*

I then had to spend the next 30 minutes explaining in basic terms that a child would understand to two thirty-something about pandemics and herd immunity. I am all for people deciding their own comfort level but they need to be informed on the risks. And they need to do their research on scientific sites. Not political.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!