Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #28362

Unfiltered | March 19, 2017

(My boyfriend and I are donating several bags of old clothes to a second-hand store. I am moving the bags to the tailgate of my truck while he takes them inside and sets them on the donation counter. My boyfriend is a really sweet guy and super friendly, but he has a stoic, serious face that often gets misktaken for a ‘don’t talk to me’ attitude)

BF: (to the donation guy, who is probably 65 or 70 years old) “How are you today, sir?”

Donation guy: “Don’t ask questions like that, man.”

BF: (utterly confused) *walks back out to my truck and related story to me*

(I have what is apparently considered a kind face because I am often spoken to by strangers even when I don’t initiate anything to them. Because of this, I am often able to ease tension-filled situations. I decide to carry the bags in and see if my BF’s posture or facial expression has anything to do with how the donation guy perceived him and responded to him, and if anything is different when I approach him)

Me: *setting the bag on the donation counter* “Hello, how are you?”

Donation guy: *looks at me blankly and shakes his head*

Me: “…Okay. Uhm, can I have two receipts? (In American, you can deduct donations from your taxes)

Donation guy: *angrily* “No! You only get one per donation!”

Me: “But, each of us (indicating my BF and myself) is donating and we need it for our taxes! (My BF shakes his head at me, as if to tell me just to let it go)

(Donation guy hands us the one receipt and we leave, confused and discussing everything that happened.)

(Maybe he had a terrible day, but we couldn’t figure out why he was so short to a common, kind question!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!