Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #28283

Unfiltered | December 28, 2016

(I take my daughter once a week to our local library, despite her being just about 2 years old, she loves it. We absolutely have to check out a children’s chapter book every time, and the librarians who work there absolutely adore her and her love of being read to.)

Me: How about this one sweetheart? Mommy used to love reading this when she was a child!

Daughter: Baba ba baaaaaa!

Librarian: That is just so sweet. I love it when children love being read to or reading.

Me: I do too, and she loves it herself!

(I take the book down, holding it out to my daughter for her approval when a lady snatches it out of my hand.)

Lady: This is too thick! She’s only a baby!

Librarian: Ma’am! You give that back right now!

Me: Lady, my daughter loves longer books, she loves being read to, and it’s helping her to learn new words.

Lady: It’s still too thick! You should be ashamed of yourself! What mother would read this thick of a book to her TODDLER!?

Me:…It’s about 50 to 60 pages, if anything that’s too short!

Librarian: I’ve seen this baby once a week, and they get out all kinds of children’s books! She loves the longer ones, just like her mother this baby enjoys books, and I’ve known the mother for years now!

Lady: Still! Pick out one of those books!

(The lady points to a section of books of which my daughter has actually already seen and have had them read to her, multiple times.)

Me: She’s already heard them and seen them, now please give me back that book so I can check it out.

Lady: Absolutely not!

Librarian: Then let me offer this.

(The librarian promptly made my daughter her very own library card, got up and grabbed another children’s chapter book, and checked it out. She stared at the lady who was screaming obscenities and threw the book down at the floor, thankfully missing my daughter when she slipped behind me to hide. The lady stomped out still screaming about how parents shouldn’t choose too thick of a book.)

Me: Wow! You alright babygirl?

Daughter: Mama…

Librarian: I’m so sorry. You and your daughter are in here so often, even I know what the baby likes, it’s a shame some people can’t see that. We have a new set of children’s books coming in, they are for toddlers, but would you like to be first on the list to check them out?

Me: Absolutely!

Librarian: Fantastic! Here, let me check this book out.

(We left with 3 books each, and my daughter has already heard all hers. I’m not even finished with mine! Lady, I don’t know what your deal was that day, I hope you were only having a really bad day, but despite your words that it was too thick, I was right. It was too thin! Tomorrow we go back for 3 more books for my daughter!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!