Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #27892

Unfiltered | October 20, 2015

(I am working on lesson plans for my school job at a local coffee shop when my sister, who lives across the country, calls me. As I am excited to speak with her, I admittedly forget social etiquette and proceed to talk enthusiastically with her on the phone. As I am in the middle of a story, a fellow customer walks up to my table.)

Customer: “What are you saying is really interesting…but I *don’t* want to hear about it.”

(I am stunned and promptly hang up the phone.)

Me: “Excuse me, but that was really rude. If you really had a problem with my phone conversation, you could have politely asked me to take the call outside and I would have done it.”

(A second customer suddenly intervenes from his tables. Bear in mind, both of these customers were sitting very close to me, so they would have even heard me whispering.)

Customer #2: “*You* were the one who decided to talk *loudly* in a quiet café and chase that woman out.”

(I am shocked into silence and mumble out an apology before packing up my things, hurrying out of the store, and having a good cry in my car. While I was in the wrong for talking on the phone in the middle of a small coffee shop, I dealt with horrid guilt for the rest of the day. You may have been successful in shutting me up, fellow customers, but as a result of your tactlessness, you also shamed me to tears. Thanks for that.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!