Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #273752

, , | Unfiltered | December 4, 2022

During high school my sister worked night shifts at a local fast food restaurant. At the end of the shift she would drive home along a highway cut into a cliff along a river valley.

One night as my sister is driving home she spots a cop car idling on the side of the road. She slows down as she approaches but the cop hasn’t pulled anyone over and doesn’t try to flag her down, so she continues on. Moments later there’s a sound of tearing metal and her car dies.

You see the cliff my sister was driving along is a glacial moraine, an accumulation of dirt and rocks pushed ahead of glaciers and left behind when they recede. This moraine is relatively steep and prone to small rock slides. The county has put up retaining fences to try and stop this, thought that doesn’t help much when a car-sized boulder comes loose.

Earlier that night a relatively small boulder had landed in the lane my sister was driving. She hadn’t seen the rock as she approached due to its color and went right over it. It was narrower than her wheels but just tall enough to tear off her car’s undercarriage.

The cop did check to make sure my sister was alright and that my parents were informed, but the question we always had was why he hadn’t done anything to stop her approaching. His headlights weren’t on the rock, there were no flares, no hazard cones, he didn’t even try to stop her.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!