Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #272028

, | Unfiltered | November 15, 2022

My Grandmother passed away somewhat suddenly. It was a hugely difficult time for my family since she was such a massive part of it. Since I have spent the last 9 years living in her home my aunt and mother (he benefactors) decide that in the short term it would make most sense to transfer any bills and accounts relating to the house to my name. This means several hours on phone calls with Utility companies and insurance providers. Almost all of the companies we contact and sympathetic and extremely helpful. A credit card company even writes off a small ammount of debt on the account rather than asking for us to repay.

Then comes the water company… As usual it takes a long time to get to talk to someone. They initially refuse to talk to anyone but the account holder. It takes my mum shouting down the phone line.

Mum: “She is dead, deceased, not among the living, kicked the bucket six feet under YOU WILL NEVER TALK TO HER”

At this point she bursts into tears and hangs up the phone. apparently something must have flipped a switch in the reps brain however because around 5 minutes later the water company calls us back and begins the process of transfering the account.

However what they actually do is create a new account in my name… and fail to close the account for my Grandmother and since we closed the bank accounts her direct debits fail to go through and I come home to a letter for her from the water company threatening legal action if she (a person who is dead) does not pay the balance on the account within a given window.

Whilst we are intially tempted to let it play out we decide to call them again and this time we sucessfully close the account. All in all it was an awful experience thanks to one company.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!