Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #268018

, , | Unfiltered | September 20, 2022

I’ve been with my partner for almost 10 years now, we have a 3 year old daughter with special needs. His family have always been open towards me in how much they dislike me, less so when he’s around, but as he’s been wanting to repair the relationship difficulties that pre-date me, I’ve only mentioned the big stuff to him, and he’s always encouraged me to ignore them, or thought that I was reading too much into the situation. Since having our daughter, I’ve been off work because of her complex medical and emotional needs, but she’s been in Nursery for a few months now, and the hospital appointments are easing, so I return to work part time at the clothing boutique I worked at previously. It’s not a career, but I know the owner very well and she’s happy to find hours for me so I have recent work experience on my CV. There’s no uniform, just wear a nice outfit and the owner has often given me old stock to keep as bonuses.

One day, my mother-in-law comes into the shop while I’m on the till, I’ve talked about my work here many times around her, and she’s always been nasty about the shop because she wouldn’t shop anywhere that hires me. My heart sinks when I see her because I don’t feel up to being berated that day after disappointing news from our daughter’s doctor. She walks up to the till with a scarf and a few tops.

Me: Is there anything else you need today, (her name)?
MIL: How do you know my name?
Me: Um… It’s me?
MIL: stares in silence
Me: (MY name)
MIL: I don’t know anyone with that name.
Me: (Partner’s name) girlfriend. (Daughter’s name) Mum. You’ve known me for almost 10 years.
(By this point, the owner has come out of the backroom and is watching us)

MIL: No, you’re wrong. My son’s whore is nowhere near as pretty as you. She wouldn’t know how to put an outfit like that together if you stripped her naked and only gave her those clothes. You don’t know me.

I just blink, not wanting to cry, because I had worn this EXACT outfit to her house less than a month ago and she had been horrible to me about it, and I just wanted her to hurry up and pay and leave.

Boss, from 10ft away: Get out.
MIL: What? I’m a paying customer!
Boss: No, you’ve just insulted my best employee. She is exactly who she says she is, I’ve met your son multiple times as well as seeing pictures of all of you on Facebook. I don’t want anyone as nasty as you wearing my products, so leave.

MIL screeches, throws the bag of clothes at me, shouting obscenities as she leaves while using my full name and promising to tell the rest of the family that I got her kicked out of her favourite shop because I’m a lying whore who’s probably sleeping with the owner.

My boss banned her, gave me a bagful of gorgeous clothes from the backroom, and when my partner came to pick me up, pulled him aside to show him the security footage. On the spot he realised that not only was his Mother’s behaviour towards me was even worse than he had ever witnessed, but that she had spent 10 years with me trying to find a connection and her rejecting both of us. We haven’t spoken to any of his family for 6 months now, and recently had to involve hospital security when they decided to turn up after our daughter’s last surgery and try to get a DNA done to prove I cheated. Luckily my sister-in-law was tackled before she managed to stab my child, and we clarified that no one with the same surname except my partner was to be allowed to see our daughter.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!