Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #267104

, , | Unfiltered | September 6, 2022

(I work in a call center helping students apply to graduate school. There is one student I haven’t been able to get in touch with in a few weeks, and this is the last call before I put her application on hold. She is very sweet, but the last time we spoke she spent 45 minutes rambling, so part of me is dreading this phone call. She picks up, and we exchange pleasantries before I get to business.)

Me: “So I was wondering what I can do to help you with the next steps in the admission process?”

Student: “Well, here’s the thing. The other day I was walking my dog. I used to walk my dog up this big hill by my house. He passed away a few years ago but I still walk there and I say ‘Look, Sammy! There are animal prints in the dirt!’ He loved chasing animals. And I used to hate walking up that hill but now I am so fit I love it, and I can just go to the bank and get everything done in five minutes. It’s so convenient. So I’m thinking about my dog…”

(She continues in this vein for a few minutes, until finally:)

Student: “…So that’s why I decided to become a dog trainer.”

Me: “Wow, that sounds like it will be such an awesome opportunity for you! I’m happy you’ve found something you’re passionate about.”

Student: “You know, I really am. I live in Hawaii and I grew up in California. I’ve always lived in very expensive places. School is so expensive, I can’t believe tuition these days. It is so much higher than when I went to school in the eighties. My husband is Hawaiian, he was born here and I am so jealous of him. I grew up in southern California and my sister still lives there and she has two kids. My niece and nephew are going to school for chemistry but they hate it! I always tell them to follow their dreams but my sister wants them to be doctors. My father is from Holland and he has a very thick accent. *in awkward Dutch accent* I am from Holland! Hear my accent? I am learning Dutch on [App]! *in normal voice* Have you heard of that?”

Me: “Yeah, I’ve heard of it-”

Student: “It’s great! You get to practice a little bit each day and soon you are fluent! You should download it. Go to all your friends and tell them to download it. It’s great.”

Me: “I’ll tell them, definitely. I appreciate you letting me know your plan, and good luck with your new career!”

Student: “I don’t want to take up much more of your time. I’ll let you go now. But listen to me: travel while you’re young. Experience the world! Learn new languages! Follow your heart and do what you’re passionate about! Go on [App] and learn a new language, and tell all your friends to do it. Tell them to download [App]! And have you heard of [Other App]? It’s great! I sold a bunch of clothes on there and I got some clothes very cheap. I got these great hiking boots very cheap, they were only $15.” If you need new winter clothes, go on [Other App]. I know it gets cold up north where you are.”

Me: “I’ll be sure to do that. Thank you for the advice!”

Student: “I don’t want to keep you, but just remember: download [App] and [Other App] and tell all your friends!”

(She continues like this for a few more minutes before I finally get her off the phone. For someone who didn’t want to keep me, she didn’t seem to mind spending 20 minutes to tell me she isn’t going to apply with us! While I was incredibly frustrated in the moment, I see now that she was probably a bit lonely and just wanted someone to talk to. I appreciate her advice and think about her whenever I practice learning a new language on [App].)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!