Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #264730

, | Unfiltered | August 6, 2022

(I’m the author of the story “Not Presently Accepted” from 2017. My fiancé’s sister still doesn’t talk to me, despite she supposedly got over that incident. I stay out of her way because I don’t want any drama, but I can’t avoid her entirely because she comes to almost any event where the family gathers. This happened this past summer, when my fiancé’s parents hosted a July 4th cookout. His sister came with a child, who no one had seen before, but his parents didn’t question her, so we didn’t either. An hour after the cookout, her boyfriend came and we learned the kid, who calls her “Auntie”, was her boyfriend’s niece. They’d been a couple for five years, but no one in the family knew, not even my fiancé, who she usually tells everything, nor their parents. The family welcomed him though, and she went around to introduce him to everyone. Everyone except me, of course, but he introduced himself to me on his own. He knew who I was because she showed him a picture of my fiancé and me on Facebook. He said though she doesn’t like me, she won’t stop someone else from being friends with someone she doesn’t like. Against what may have been my better judgement, I chose to talk to her after the cookout, being optimistic and thinking she finally moved on. This conversation is over Facebook messenger.)

Me: “Hi.”

Fiancé’s sister: “Yes?”

Me: “Your boyfriend was nice and his niece is cute.”

Fiancé’s sister: “You’re not texting me to say that. What do you want?”

Me: “Never mind. Bye.”

Fiancé’s sister: “He told you, didn’t he?”

Me: “He just said hi and some nice stuff about you.” (I was thinking she could be jealous and the last thing I want is her accusing me of stealing her man, or some nonsense like that.)

Fiancé’s sister: “I meant my brother, not my boyfriend, but you don’t know what I’m talking about, so whatever.”

(I really, really should’ve cut the chat, but for some reason, I figured since I opened the line of communication, I ought to bite the bullet.)

Me: “What’s your problem? I get being mad, but you’ve held this grudge for years. Are you gonna take it to your grave? Are you that mad I caught you cutting school?”

Fiancé’s sister: “No, I’m mad my brother is marrying a stupid bitch. I wasn’t cutting school, dumbass. It was a half day and we got out early. I didn’t tell my parents because I forgot about it until they dismissed us. You would’ve known if you asked.”

Me: “I heard what you told your friend after you rejected my gift.”

Fiancé’s sister: “I already had that doll set and I didn’t want a duplicate. Second, yeah, I have cut school. Just not that day. I never told [Friend] what exact day it was.”

Me: “And you couldn’t say it was a half day?”

Fiancé’s sister: “And you couldn’t mind your fucking business? You’re marrying my brother, not me. I don’t have to explain myself to you! My school schedule is not your fucking business! I don’t care what you think you caught me for! You’re a nosy bitch and my family has enough of them!”

Me: *light bulb going off* “Wait, you’ve hated me these past years because you think I tell tales?”

(Much as I hate to admit it, she isn’t totally wrong about the last part. My fiancé has vented to me more than once that as much as loves his family, they are too gossipy for his liking, and we keep certain details of our life private for that reason. One story will get twisted into five different ones between family members. This conversation went on and, in the end, I apologized in case I really did jump to a conclusion and for her thinking I was trying to instigate something. Took a much longer conversation, but I convinced her I was sincere and she seemed to accept it. I think any chance of us being friends is out of the window, but she is my eventual sister-in-law and I’d rather our differences not affect my fiancé’s relationship with her, so I’ll settle for us tolerating each other.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!