Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #261880

, , , | Unfiltered | June 27, 2022

I want to start by saying, I readily admit that what I did was not okay, but I feel my actions weren’t totally unjustified. Now for the story.

In March, I’d gotten called in for an interview for a job at Subway. At the interview, I mentioned to the owner, who was interviewing me, that I have emotional issues, and may get a bit overly upset at times. She accepted this, and hired me.
A couple weeks later, a new girl started, and, honestly, she was a “biscuit” as I like to say. Her 2nd day, she spent easily 10 minutes sitting and talking to a friend because “There aren’t any customers” when there were several things she could’ve been doing, sweeping, prepping food, and doing dishes, just to name a few. I was the only one to call her out on it.
A couple of weeks after that, another new girl started. The SECOND she sat down, to get off her feet, if only for a moment, she got yelled at, “If you’re not working, you need to be off the clock”
Now, when you’re just starting, I can understand sitting down for a minute or two, because standing on your feet for hours at a time takes some getting used to, though 5 minutes is excessive, forget 10!
I point out the double standard to a manager, and ask if they’d be willing to either crack down on girl 1, or ease up on girl 2. Preferably both. I’m told “No.”
I was pretty upset at this point, as double standards are a pet peeve of mine, and I was at the point of barely holding it together when the manager said no. So, I broke. I started slamming down bread we were prepping, and forcefully throwing dishes into the sink, among other things. I was quickly told to clock out and head home. Angry, I shoved past everyone to clock out, and left… though I attempted to slam the door on my way out, only to find it was hydraulic… so I kicked it instead, facing away from the door.
Upon leaving, I started to calm down, and texted the owner my side of the situation. (She frequently watched the cameras in the store) And, before long, she texted me, asking, “Why did you kick the door?” and I of course answered.
By the next morning, she had asked me to turn in my uniform. I was fired, having worked about a month.
Shortly after, I received a letter in the mail, informing me that the owner had pressed charges against me, I don’t recall the exact charges, but one was clearly about shoving past my former coworkers, an action on scale to pushing past people in a New York Subway, and the other was property damage, at which I was confused. What had I broken?
I decided to go into court to find out what I could, and, upon appearing in court, learned that I had shattered the glass door, when I kicked it. I had felt the glass flex, but because safety glass, it had stayed in place, despite shattering. The owner was nowhere to be seen, however. I learned this from the Judge.
If the owner had told me I’d broken the door, I would’ve gone wide-eyed and apologized, and would’ve gladly paid. Had she shown up in court, I would’ve been peeved that she hadn’t seen fit to tell me herself, but would’ve gotten over it. But her decision to fire me and never say a word about what happened to me… just rubs me the wrong way. I wound up doing some community service for the general fines, and paid her for the door, and now boycott any locations belonging to her. Which means I have to travel 2 hours to get a sandwich from Subway.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!