Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #258060

, , , | Unfiltered | May 7, 2022

(My junior year of high school the choir and band take a trip to the Québec providence in Canada. We’re americans. I’ve been taking French for three years, so I’m trying to speak it as much as possible, but if I have trouble understanding someone I usually explain that I’m not fluent and whoever I’m speaking to is usually able to switch to English. I’m purchasing something and approach the counter.)
Me: Bonjour!
Cashier: Bonjour, [something I don’t catch]
(In a panic I forget how to ask her to repeat herself and blurt the first thing that comes to mind:)
Me: I don’t speak French!
Cashier: Ok…. how are you?
(It’s then that my brain clicks and I realize that she had said “ça va?” but it’s too late to save face, so I go through the rest of the transaction as fast as possible and basically sprint from the shop. I can’t imagine how dumb I must have seemed, to start a conversation in French and then exclaim that I can’t speak the language when she asks “how are you?” I’m grateful that there’s no risk of me ever entering that shop again.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!