Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #252935

, , | Unfiltered | February 5, 2022

This happened a couple months ago. To set this up, my university has a two-step authentication process for the main website that students use for assignments, class schedules, etc. I had it set up so the second part would have to be verified on my phone. This semester, I have a lab that requires files only accessible on that main website, so it’s very important that I have my phone with me when I go to this class.
I was sitting in the Union (a common area where a lot of students like to study), killing time until I had to be at my next class, which was my lab. My phone was low on battery, so I plugged it in, making a mental note to myself not to forget it was there. (Wasn’t about to be one of the goofs in the university orientation videos who got their electronics stolen because they left them alone in broad daylight!) Later, it was almost time for lab, so I hurried over to the building where class was going to be held. I had a bit of free time, so I decided to take a potty break.
That’s when I realized that my mental note had basically done nothing and I had left my phone at the Union. I raced back, mentally kicking myself for not paying attention, but I was too late. My phone was gone, charger and all. Now I was now one of the goofs in the orientation video that left their valuables in broad daylight.
I had a huuuge panic attack, not even sure what to do, just knowing that this was really bad. Luckily, I had my tablet on me, so after I calmed down a bit I was able to contact my parents and tell them what happened and if they could pick me up (why bother going to lab if I couldn’t complete the assignment, right?). They said they weren’t mad at me and that we could just get a new phone, but I was still upset at my lapse in responsibility.
I sat there for a bit crying, when a girl about my age came up to me and asked me what was wrong. I told her what happened, and she suggested going to ITaP (the university version of IT) to get my tablet set up so it could give access just like my phone did. She went with me to their main office after I told her I didn’t know the way, and the nice lady at the desk helped me get my tablet all set up.
After that I decided that I would go to lab, and the teacher was understanding about my lateness. I ended up sitting next to these two girls who seemed to be good friends. That’s when I had a slightly crazy/stupid idea. It was my phone, so I should be able to call it, right? I worked up the courage to tell the girl and her friend what happened and to ask them if I could borrow one of their phones to call my phone and see if I could get it back.
They were all for it, and I called my number. I was all but convinced that this was a robbery, so when I called my number and it went to voicemail, I left a message basically saying, “Hi, You have my phone, I want it back, meet me at this place at this time.” (Kids, don’t try this at home!!) The girls and I waited all lab for a response, but none came. Lab ended, the girls left, and I was ready to accept my phone was gone for good, when one of the girls, the owner of the phone I used to call mine, came back and said she got a response! Turns out that it was at the Union Lost and Found.
I updated my parents, and they met me outside to go to the Union and retrieve my phone. When I asked how it got there, one of the people at the desk said that a girl had found it abandoned in the Union and brought it to them. So this whole time I thought it was stolen, turns out someone found it and did exactly what they were supposed to with it. Whoops.
That said, I’m very grateful to the girl who helped me earlier when I was panicking, the lady at ITaP, the two friends who lent me a phone and helped me find out it was at the Lost and Found, and the person who found my phone and brought it to the Lost and Found in the first place. I know that the phone was ultimately a small thing to lose, but I’m still glad it was found, and it helped me learn that humanity isn’t quite as bad as the internet says it is.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!