Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #248379

, | Unfiltered | November 26, 2021

(I have recently been diagnosed with a brain disorder that has left me severely disabled, and chose to keep this from my birth father, as he is a narcissistic alcoholic who would react badly, and we are mostly estranged. However, when I am told that recovery is unlikely, I realise I will have to tell him at some point, and decide to get it over with.)
Me: So, that’s the gist of it. I use a wheelchair, I have seizures and I have chronic fatigue. Do you have anything you would like to ask me?
Father: No, but I need some time to process this and do my own research. I’m really sorry this happened to you.
(I am surprised at how reasonable he’s acting, and begin to think he’s changed. An hour later, however:)
Him: So, basically it’s all in your head and not recognised by the medical community.
Me: I mean, it’s a brain disorder, so technically it’s in my head? But I’ve been seen by numerous medical professionals, including the neurologist that diagnosed me. Even when you search it the first result is the NHS website.
Him: Prove to me that you’re really sick! You’re an awful liar, how dare you fake this disability? How do you fool other people? You’re manipulating my family into believing you!
(I decided at this point it was best for my sanity to go back to not talking to him, but he continued to barrage his mother and sister about how awful I was, saying that since they always take my side I’m clearly brainwashing them against him, and it had nothing to do with the reality that he is a thoroughly unpleasant person. I’m still not sure how his vision of me being simultaneously unable to lie and a master manipulator meshes. The kicker? According to my aunt, his reliable source for all of this was Wikipedia-and he’s a science teacher!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!