Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #247793

, | Unfiltered | November 17, 2021

(It’s my last shift as a nightshift receptionist at a four star hotel. A colleague from the previous shift is still there because we’re still talking about issues I need to be informed of. She says we have only three more rooms available, and three check-ins to arrive, so it should work out. First check-in arrives, part of a company’s group, and I check her into one of the three open rooms. She comes down about ten minutes later.)

Guest: The electricity in the room isn’t working; the lights won’t come on.

Me: They aren’t? Oh, no… alright, I’ll make a note for the technicians, and have you checked into another room. …done. You’re now in [Room #2].

(She takes the new keycard and leaves, while I write a note. This isn’t the first room of ours that has electricity issues today. The guest returns, with her luggage, and complains that the light isn’t working in that room, either. She’s pretty angry by now.)

Guest: Is this a joke? The lights aren’t working there, either!

Me: *genuinely surprised that two rooms I offered had the same issues* No! Really? Oh, shoot…

(My colleague and I talk quickly, and learn that the third room we thought was available already had someone checked into it earlier. She talks with the guest, offering to have her be sent to our sister hotel via taxi, getting the same rate as ours and paying for the taxi ride, and said hotel being a short way away.)

Guest: *slightly condescendingly* Or maybe we’ll just write your hotel off of our list. That’s a big thing when it happens with [Search Enginge] company.

(I practically burst out laughing. Fortunately, I managed to disguise it as a cough from my cold… my colleague and I did end up sending her, as well as the other awaited check-ins to our sister hotel. Well, I could say the beginning of my last shift was interesting. The rest was the typical, boring and silent nightshift I’ve had since I started.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!