Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #247289

, | Unfiltered | November 8, 2021

(I’m a cashier, checking out a customer.)

Customer: Can you double-bag everything?

Me: Sure. (I begin to do so, then for one reason or another I place a bag on top of the bagging carousel.)

Customer: Oh, you can spin it around to me.

Me: OK. (I do so.)

Customer: Oh, it’s OK, I can double it. Just spin it around.

(I stop double-bagging. But when it gets to her, she does absolutely nothing. So I start double-bagging again.)

Customer: Oh, can you put more in this bag?

Me: OK. (I start making the bags heavier, trying my hardest to find out what she wants and to do it.)

Customer: Oh, no, don’t worry about it, just do your thing.

(At this point, I start to get irritated, because that’s what I was doing in the first place, so I KNOW she doesn’t want me to “just do my thing”. But I still try to satisfy her by putting in an amount in between.)

Customer: Oh, you don’t need to pack them so light, just do your thing.

Me (about to lose it, probably sounding quite upset): Ma’am, what exactly is it that you want?

Customer: No, it’s fine, I’m not picky.

(At this point, I’m so angry and frustrated with this customer, I don’t even try any more; I just throw the stuff in and double bag it as fast as I possibly can just to get rid of her as fast as possible. I think she sees at this point that she’s ticked me off, because she then starts repeatedly saying…)

Customer: Perrrrrfect.

(Then, at the end…)

Me: [Total].

Customer: Have a wonderful day!

Me: …

Customer: I said, “have a wonderful day!”

Me (through gritted teeth): You too. Bye.

(For the record, I almost never get angry at customers, even the “bad” ones. Look, I don’t care one bit if you’re picky. I’ve had plenty of picky customers and most of the time, they’re still really nice people, and typically very nice and appreciative when I do things the way they want. But for the love of God, don’t try to get me do things differently and at the same time pretend to not care! Just *tell me what you want* so I can serve you the way you want me to. Getting all these mixed messages from a customer was so infuriating that I just couldn’t function properly after that until I took my break and ranted about what a b**** she was to my coworkers, which I must stress had never happened before in my 3 years or so of experience in customer service. Thank God it was about time for me to go on break anyway.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!