Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #246170

, , | Unfiltered | October 24, 2021

Somewhat paraphrased, as this happened well over a decade ago. I have difficulty with social behaviors at the time of this story, but I am well aware of it. As such, when I am sent to a job placement agency, I tell them I’m aiming for a clerical or data entry position, anything that I can easily develop a “script” to work off when talking to others. They give me a few standard tests, all of them weirdly simple despite how time-consuming they are. After turning them in, I wait for my assigned counselor to look them over. When he comes out to speak to me, he looks utterly baffled.

Counseler: “Why do you want to be a secretary when you could be a doctor?”
Me: *shocked* “I can barely stand the thought of holding a job where I need to oversee other employees, I don’t want to be responsible for people’s LIVES! I’d never be able to afford medical school anyway!”
Counselor: “Ah. Yeah, that makes sense. I’ll see what I can find for you.”

I guess the tests were meant to be difficult after all, but even with high scores I know I’d never be able to handle the responsibility and stress of a medical career. While my social skills and self-confidence are much better these days, I still prefer jobs where I have a script to work off. Thankfully I’m currently in a job where I have a broad one and a good sense of when it’s okay to veer from it, and I even accepted the management position that was offered to me.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!