Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #245175

, , | Unfiltered | October 6, 2021

I am a female bartender in a pub that opened a few months ago and the business is very slow. My boss insists I speak with the patrons as much as possible to make them want to stay and drink more so I always try to do so. I am now talking to a male customer that ordered his first drink in the otherwise empty bar.

Customer: So how much do you know about art ?
Me: Oh, I am afraid I don’t really know much. I was more of a science major –
Customer (interrupting): Do you know about [Obscure artist] ?
Me: I don’t think I have heard of him –
Customer (disappointed voice): Oh, that’s too bad.
He sounds slightly condescending but I shake it off, thinking it’s just my imagination. I do enjoy talking about new subjects though, as usually I spend my shift talking about the same subjects to different patrons, so I try to continue the conversation.
Me: So what is famous for ?
Customer (ignoring my question): What about [Obscure artist 2] ?
Me: I don’t really know –
Customer (condescending): He is quite famous for his impressionist art though.
Me: Ah ? It’s inters… –
Customer(interrupting): And [Obscure artist 3] ?

It continues for a while, despite my attempts to change the subject or just actually talk about the artists the customer ignores me. It becames quite obvious that he doesn’t want to talk about art – he just want to show me his knowledge is greater than mine. After 5 minutes of this I am quite fed up but he is the only customer so I can’t walk away.

Customer : And there is this artist, do you know him ?
Me (not trying anymore): No.
Customer: Well I guess you really don’t know anything, haha !

I am fuming. I don’t answer because I won’t be polite about it. Just at that moment I hear other customers enter, so I fly to them to escape this rude customer. He ends up talking to my boss (male). They seem to have a completly normal talk for the rest of the night.
Unfortunately, the rude customer became a regular. He would always come and try to belittle me or my female coworkers. He was good business though so we had to keep serving him with our best smiles…

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!