Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #242936

, , | Unfiltered | August 29, 2021

I’m working in the deli when the phone rings. It says it’s a private number, which I think is strange, but I answer the phone anyway.

Me: *in my sweetest customer service voice* “Bakery/Deli, how may I help you?”
Male Customer: “Hello, is this the Bakery/Deli of [Supermarket]?”
Me: “Yes, it is.”
Customer: “I was just calling to ask about the black man you have working in the deli. He was so helpful, and I wanted to know his name.”

We’ve recently hired a black woman, but she looks quite feminine, so I’m confused right off the bat.

Me: “Sir, we don’t have a black man working in the deli.”
Customer: “Well, maybe it was a helpful customer. Have you seen him? He was really muscular and pretty big. Do you know his name?”

This doesn’t at all match the description of our new hire, but I still wonder if it was some kind of racist prank.

Me: “Sir, I’m sorry, but I don’t know who you’re talking about.”
Customer: “Oh, that’s too bad. I wanted to ask him if he wanted to have a drink with me and party with us.”

I probably should have hung up at this point (if not before), but I was still in helpful employee mode, and sadly remained thus until the end of the call.

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, we have some friendly customers, but I don’t know who you’re thinking of.”
Customer: “Are you sure? My wife’s birthday is coming up soon, you know, and she… Wanted to put some black in the pink, if you know what I mean.”

I pause for several seconds, unsure what to do. I cannot believe I just heard these words come out of someone’s mouth. My subconscious must have decided it was time to end the call.

Me: “… Have a nice day, sir.”
Customer, with a disgusting smile I can hear in his voice: “Thanks, sweetie.”

My skin crawling, I hang up and stutter the story out to my coworker. I’ve never had such a phone call before, but if and when I have another, I plan on just hanging up without engaging or threatening to call the police. I won’t be caught so off-guard next time.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!