Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #240038

, , | Unfiltered | July 22, 2021

(I’m returning to the bakery counter from break and see my new coworker serving an incredibly rude regular customer, who always picks something to cause a scene over. I immediately jump on the counter to help. I start by washing my hands and putting on new gloves, something the customer is watching me do, and then begin packing the customer’s order.)

Customer: “Are those gloves clean?!”
Me: “Yes, ma’am,”
Customer: “Well, they don’t look fresh!”
Me: “Ma’am, I washed my hands and put on new gloves as soon as I got behind the counter.”
Customer: “Yeah, when you got back, but you’ve been touching a lot of things and now you’re touching my rolls!”
Me: “Ma’am, the only things these gloves have touched are your rolls and the bag that they’re going into, but I will change them again.”
Customer: “Don’t bother, because SHE *points to my coworker* has already touched my rolls with old gloves! I don’t know what gloves are good for if nobody ever changes them!”

(I’ve almost lost my cool at this point, so I decide to stop responding and just finish packing her order and send her on her way.)

Coworker: “That was crazy! Before you got back, she had already yelled at me over some bread and I didn’t even do anything!”
Me: “Believe me, I know. She picks something to yell about every time she’s here. I’m just a little shocked that she completely made up a reason to complain this time. I saw her watching me wash my hands and get new gloves.”
Coworker: “Me, too. Are customers here typically like that?”
Me: “Not at all, they’re mostly very nice.”

(It turned out that the day before, this same poor coworker also met our worst regular who comes in late at night and throws literal hopping, stomping, cursing tantrums whenever we’re out of his favorite bread. Miraculously, she still keeps a smile on her face and a positive outlook with our customers.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!