Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #239472

, | Unfiltered | July 16, 2021

At the store where we work we strive to give the best possible experience to each customer, alongside genuine interest in conversation. This normally keeps everyone entertained, but occasionally leads to customers sharing very shocking information. It’s of not that the centre car park is about a 40 metre walk from our store front, and we often assist customers with carrying bulky and heavy items out to a customers car.
This story takes place as I’m carrying a huge order of helium balloons to a customer’s car on the far side of the lot. The customer has insisted on walking down the centre of the road – ignoring the spacious sidewalk three metres to the left and blocking traffic in both directions in an already congested lot.
[Customer] “Make sure you don’t let the bags drag on the ground n-”
*Customer pauses and realises just how tall I am, with the bags a good foot off the ground*
[Customer] “Just how tall are you?”
[Me] “Just under two metres.”
[Customer] “And how much is that in inches?”
[Me] “Around six feet, six inches.”
[Customer] “You’re very tall. Like my son. He joined the navy at 17.”
[Me] “Did he?”
[Customer] “Yes. Then he committed suicide.”
[Me] *Stunned a complete stranger would reveal this to me* “I… I’m sorry to hear that.”
[Customer] “Don’t be. He had mental issues.”
*We reach the customer’s car and I take solace in loading up her balloons*
[Customer] *warmly* “There’s a lot of him in you. I can see your heart.”
[Me] “I see… Well, you’re all set, so have a nice afternoon!”
* I hightail it out of that car park faster than I ever have before. *
I have to wonder what reminded me about her son. Was it my height, my cheery attitude or my apparent penchant for self-harm?

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!