Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #238341

, | Unfiltered | July 6, 2021

I work in a small town pet store. I am not a cashier normally, but I am register trained to help out in a pinch. I see that a line is building at our only open register so I approach the second person in line (customer #1) and ask if I can check her out at the next register. Before I can get there, another woman (customer #2) is already unloading her items.

Me: I’m sorry, ma’am, this woman was next in line so I’m going to have to ring her up first. It won’t take long.
Customer #2: No, I’m already here.
Me: Uh, I have to take the next customer in line …
Customer #2: Which is me.
Me: But —
Customer #1: Just take her. I can wait.

I ring out customer #2, trying to keep the displeasure off my face. She has dozens of cans of cat food, in no particular order, so they have to be scanned individually.

Customer #2: I thought you said this would be quick. Why are you so slow?
Me: The cans aren’t sorted so I have to do each one individually.
Customer #2: Bull**** you do. You’re just wasting my time!
Me: Do you know how many of each flavor you have? I can enter quantities if you know them.
Customer #2: That’s your job!
Customer #1: She’s not a mind reader, you crotchety old b****. You want it done faster, make it easier.

Customer #2 (turns bright red): Are you going to say anything about that?!
Me: Knowing the quantities would be faster.
Customer #2: You’re going to let her talk to me like that! I want your manager!
Me: Okay.

I call my manager over. Before I can say anything, Customer #2 launches into a tantrum.

Manager: I see. From what I’ve gathered, in spite of everything we’ve tried to do, you are still unhappy with your service here today.
Customer #2: YES!
Manager: I’m sorry you feel that way, ma’am. If you choose not to come back, we understand. (Customer #1), would you please follow me to the next register? I’d like to thank you for your patience.

Customer #2 stood there, gaping like a fish out of water. I finished her order and told her what the total would be. She glared and threw a wad of cash at me. I calmly opened it and put it in the register before handing her money back. She stomped out, swearing and kicking displays the whole way. So far, she hasn’t been back!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!