Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #233788

, , | Unfiltered | May 7, 2021

I run a custom tailoring business out of my home. One client was really excited about an outfit I made for a friend and wants one exactly like it. The conversation goes like this:

Client: Hi, I really like the [outfit] you made for [mutual friend]. How much would it be and when can you have it done?
Me: Oh, it will be [price range]. But I’m unfortunately pretty booked right now since it’s show season. The earliest I can start on it is [date]. If that’s okay, I’ll send you the measurement chart to fill out so I can calculate your deposit.

(Hear nothing for a few months and figure she didn’t want it after all. Then…)

Client: Hi, I’m still interested in that outfit. Do you have a spot in your schedule now?
Me: Sorry, I’m still rather booked. But a deposit will secure your spot in my current schedule and I’ll check in with you before I start work on the outfit to make sure you’re still committed.

(Lather, rinse, repeat for about a year. The client asks about the outfit, I tell her what my schedule looks like, and she disappears when I mention paying a deposit. Fast forward to the following year, when I am knee-deep in a complicated, expensive commission.)

Client: I want this outfit NOW. My due date is [two months from now] and you BETTER have it done by then.
Me: Okay, look. I have two projects ahead of you. I can postpone one of them to accommodate you. If you send me a deposit by the end of the week, I’ll buy the materials and start work as soon as I finish the other project. I’ll do my best to meet your due date, but I can’t guarantee it.
Client: What if I pay you more for a rush job? I really want the outfit for this show and I already told all my friends!
Me: I’m sorry, but my policies already state that I don’t do rush jobs. And my other client has been waiting on her outfit for a year after paying in full. It’s not fair to her to drop her project to do yours. I’m just being honest about what your expectations are.
Client: Fine. Send me the measurement chart.

I send her the measurement chart and she disappears again. Haven’t heard from her since.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!