Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #233759

, , | Unfiltered | May 5, 2021

(In between college semesters, I used to work at a photo center in a popular chain drug store. I generally worked the evening shift, from late afternoon until about one in the morning. Keep in mind, we were not a one hour photo development station. Usually, due to the sheer amount of orders we received on a day-to-day basis, we never guaranteed photos until the next day. We even had signs stating this policy behind and on the counter. As always, customers never read these.

On this particular day, a couple of young men–missionaries from a local church I attended–had placed an order that afternoon. It is now 9:30 in the evening, and the two men come walking in. Having served a two year religious mission myself, I am well aware of the strict set of rules that young missionaries are required to follow. One of those rules is that they must be back to their apartment by 9:30.)

CUSTOMER: I need my pictures. I placed my order earlier. (His tone is rude and demanding, which is very unbecoming for a person in his position.)

ME: (Trying to sound polite) Yes. I remember you coming in earlier to place your order. Unfortunately, as the sign says, we don’t guarantee same day printing.

CUSTOMER: (Getting angry) But I was in here earlier. I placed my photo order first.

(At this point, I’m not sure what he means by “first.” I assume it’s his way of trying to force me into printing his order.)

ME: I’m sorry, but there were many other customer orders in front of yours and it will not be ready until tomorrow.

CUSTOMER: (Even angrier) No, no. I placed my order FIRST! I was here earlier today.

ME: I’m sorry, but there isn’t anything I can do.

CUSTOMER: Go print my photos now! I was here earlier today! I put my order in FIRST!

ME: (Getting tired of his tone of voice) Aren’t you guys supposed to be back at your apartment by now?

CUSTOMER: It’s our P-Day (another term for their “day off”)

ME: I’m pretty sure, according to the rules handbook, that P-Day technically ends at six. After which, you’re supposed to be out teaching. Not to mention, you’re supposed to be in your apartment by 9:30 at the latest no matter what the day is.

CUSTOMER: (Waving a dismissive hand at me) What do you know? Get me my pictures.

ME: Actually, I just returned from my own mission service a year ago, so I know the rules very well. Also, if you would like, I could discuss this incident and your rude attitude, with the bishop of our congregation who also happens to be my father.

The customer turned pale as a ghost and his companion pulled on his arm for them to leave. They never came back into my photo center again.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!