Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #231133

, , | Unfiltered | April 12, 2021

I work as a receptionist at a large retail store selling expensive novelty items. One evening, shortly before closing, a man comes into the store. At this time, I am by myself at the front of the store, and my coworkers are elsewhere, assisting other customers and beginning to close up the store.

Me: “Hi there! How are you?”
Customer: “Well, better now!”
Me (somewhat fearing what he would say next): “… Sorry?”
Customer: “Well, pretty girl and all.”
Me: “… so, what brings you into the store today?”
Customer: “I want to buy FIVE [large, very expensive novelty item]s.”
Me: *shrugging my shoulders, knowing he was trying to joke around, and motioning to all the items on display in front of me*

The customer then walked away, but I was sufficiently creeped out. I hid in the back office until he left, and then recounted the story and how uncomfortable I felt to my coworkers. After I had finished:

Coworker: “Oh, that was just my friend. He calls everyone beautiful.”

I kind of rolled my eyes at this, and was a bit surprised at how he was defending him, but went on with work and mostly forgot about the experience. A week later, a familiar-looking person stepped into the store – yep, you guessed it: my coworker’s friend. Thankfully, the interaction when I greeted him goes fairly normally, but I guess this guy has a food truck or something, and he walked around the entire store, asking all my coworkers if they wanted to buy some chicken or fish (solitication much?). He ended up asking me as well, which I declined for obvious reasons. (I am also vegetarian.)

Also, apparently my coworker did end up speaking to his friend before he came in for the second time, and told him I felt uncomfortable with our interaction. His friend was surprised. My coworker told him I was happily married. I told my coworker that shouldn’t even matter. Oh well.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!