Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #230354

, , | Unfiltered | April 2, 2021

(I work in a equipment rental job and often need to get extensive information about a customers vehicle if they want to try to pull something. This often times leads to some very frustrating conversations with clueless customers who basically just have a vehicle and want me to do all the guess work to see if they can actually pull something. This guy takes the cake though.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [rental location] this is [my name]. How may I help you?”

Caller: “Yeah, I need to book a reservation to haul my car.”

Me: ” No problem at all. I just need some information from you. First, I need the year, make and model of what you intend to pull”

Caller: “Yeah, its a [year] and [brand] car”

Me: “Ok, and whats the model of the vehicle?”

Caller: “Its a car. I think it has rear wheel drive.”

Me: “I need to know what type of car it is.”

Caller: “Oh, its [model]”

(At this point, I have a feeling this may go poorly. I try to shrug off people not knowing too much about what they are pulling since it could be for a friend.)

Me: “Alright. Now I need to know the year, make and model of what you want to pull this with”

Caller: “Its a [year] [brand] truck. Its the big one they made that year. Only a few of them.”

Me: “Ok, and what is its [model]”

Caller: “Its a [model]. I think its got bigger breaks then the others of that year and some other features”

(I check the information, only to discover that this model is not a part of that year. I check a few other years, but don’t see it listed)

Me: “Ok, so it doesn’t appear that that is an actual model for that vehicle in that year. Are you sure its for [year] and its a [brand]?”

Caller: “Yeah. It was like a 1500 or something. I know its bigger then the others. Think its a [lists a few letters] make of vehicle”

Me: “Ok. Let me see if I find anything that that could be”

Caller: ” I mean, if we can’t figure out what it is, I don’t want to waste my time coming down there just to be turned away”

(Just to note, I wouldn’t be able to give him a booking at this point anyway. So He wouldn’t be told to come down anyway. I look at the list and discover that one model matches what he said.)

Me: “Ok, I see [model] that has what you just told me in it”

Caller: “Yeah, that’s it!”

Me: “Great. Now I just need to know your hitch rating”

Caller: “I don’t know. I think its a lot. I know the tongue weight is pretty high.”

Me: “Do you have the owners manual you can check? I need to know the hitch rating”

Caller: “I could come down there and we can figure all of this out together. I don’t think I have the owners manual anymore”

(At this point, the call has taken far longer then normal so I guess the weight without telling the customer and put it at a weight I know is typical for those types of trucks. Not shockingly, his vehicle isn’t allowed to haul our equipment. I tell him this and he thanks me and hangs up. Word to the wise, if you’re going to try to tow or haul anything, please know what you’re working with!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!