Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #223143

, | Unfiltered | January 18, 2021

(As a librarian, part of my job involves answering questions over the phone. It’s not unusual to take requests for directions or phone numbers of various businesses. I don’t mind helping these people out, as most of them don’t own computers, but some of them can push things too far.)

Me: [Library System and Branch], how may I help you?
Caller: I need the name, phone number and address for the CEO of [National Car Rental Company].
Me (*Googles*): All right, the CEO is [Name], but I might not be able to find her address and phone number, since many people choose not to list their personal information publicly. (I give this spiel to patrons asking for personal information as a matter of course, because it isn’t unusual for me to search for a name and come up with nothing. While many understand this, others take it as a personal affront.)
Caller (growing irate): Well, that’s ridiculous!
Me (politely): Well, many people choose not to list their information because it opens the door to harassment.
Caller: Well, let me tell YOU that this woman has PLENTY of people between me and her that’ll stop her from being harassed! Now, give me her address and phone number!
(I’m beginning to see that this call will not end well, but I search for the information anyway. Unsurprisingly, nothing comes up.)
Me: Ma’am, I’m sorry, but her address and phone number aren’t listed. I can get you the address and number for the company itself, but her information isn’t listed.
Caller: This is ridiculous! Give me her address and phone number!
(I’m tempted to ask if she would want an angry person with a grievance against her to have her address and phone number, but at this point, I just want to end the call as quickly as possible.)
Me: Ma’am, it isn’t listed.
(This goes back and forth for a few minutes as I search for the address and phone number of the company headquarters, which is surprisingly difficult to find. Once I give it to her….)
Caller: Do you have a degree in library science?
(I do, but I sense a personal attack and am not about to take the bait.)
Me: May I ask how this question is relevant to your search?
Caller: Just answer the question! Do you have a degree in library science or not?
Me: Ma’am, I fail to see how this is relevant. Now, if you have another question about the company–
Caller: What is your name?
(I hung up on her right away. Thankfully, she didn’t call back.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!