Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #217739

, | Unfiltered | December 8, 2020

(It’s a pretty busy day, with many people coming to buy bbq supplies. A customer is next in line for our “quick checkout” register, which I am behind. He only has one item and I ring him up quickly. His total comes up to €1.39 and in the two years I’ve worked at this supermarket, I’ve always been told to just round up and down.)

Me: “Okay, that’ll be €1.40”

Customer: “No, it’s not.”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Customer: “You’re a liar, it’s €1,39!”

Me: “Yes but we always round up these kinds of amounts.”

Customer: “No! You round down the change, so stop lying! I’m f***ing sick of being lied to by all of you….” *he trails off into more mumbled complaining*

Me: “Okay….”

(At this point, I’m furious but I try not to show it. The customer just glares at me before he pulls out his debit card and pays. I put my biggest fake smile on my face and continue with an exaggeratedly sweet voice.)

Me: “Would you like the receipt, sir?”

Customer: “No.”

Me: “Okay, have a nice day then!”

Customer: “Your manager will hear about this!” *he grabs his drink and stomps off*

(I take a very deep breath to calm down and turn to the next customer.)

Next customer: “What was that all about?”

(I explain what happened and the next customer looks confused)

Next customer: “Huh. Way to make a scene about nothing.”

(To this day, I have no idea what the big deal was. We don’t even give out 1 cents anymore and he paid with debit, so he didn’t even pay that 1 cent anyway. We never received a complaint either.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!