Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #211809

, , , , | Unfiltered | October 18, 2020

I live in the UK, but my mother lives abroad. One day during her visit, I agreed to meet her at the local currency exchange, since she didn’t have enough pound sterling with her. The computer system in the UK randomly asks for proof of address when someone tries to exchange a large amount of money. This is done randomly and automatically, so there is nothing anyone can do about it. When I arrived, my mother was leaning on the counter with a sour look on her face.

Me: Hey mum, what’s going on?
Mother: These people are so incompetent. I’ve been here for 10 minutes and they have no idea what they are doing.
Teller: I’m sorry, ma’am, but there is nothing we can do unless you can give me a proof of address.
Mother: How many times do I have to tell you, I don’t live here!
Me: *sensing danger* I live here, can I give you my proof of address instead?
Teller: Yes, that will work.

I run to the nearest bank to get the proof. I was gone for less than 10 minutes, but when I came back my mother had her head in her hands and the poor teller looked very stressed out.

Me: *trying to sound chirpy while a cold, sinking feeling sets in* Everything alright?
Mother: These people said that if I exchange only half of the money, I won’t need a proof of address. So they started everything all over again, and now they’re saying they still need the damn thing!
Teller: I’m very sorry ma’am, but the system is automatic. I have no control over when it asks for proof. USUALLY when it is a small amount, the process is more straightforward.
Me: Well, it doesn’t matter. Thank you for trying to help. Here are the documents you need.
Mother: *at the teller, and the manager, who is now standing there* The money is legal, you know? I am a legal visitor, and my daughter have been here legally for seven years! We are all legal!

The tellers, the manager, and I are all talking at the same time at this point, trying to convince her that this has nothing to do with our status. Like the teller said, it’s just a random computer system.

Mother: You are such a liar. Everyone here is such a liar. I have never been treated so badly by a bunch of liars…
Manager: *finally steps forward to the glass window separating us* Ma’am, I don’t know what you want from us. If we try to bypass the system, my employees can lose their jobs. I’m not going to let them do that. Now, if you’re unhappy with our service, you can take your money and go.

My mother finally shuts up and waits for the teller to count her money. I am standing five feet behind her trying to look like I don’t know her. When the transaction was done, she left quickly. I stayed behind and mouthed an apology to everyone there. The next day, I snuck away from my mother and came back to there to properly apologise for her behaviour. The teller was very sweet but the manager still looked annoyed.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!