Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #207946

, , | Unfiltered | September 11, 2020

(I’m at the front of a well-known auto parts store, asking the man at the register if they have the part I need in stock. Everything is going smoothly until a older man, who has been browsing the store for a few minutes, comes to the checkout with his items and waits behind me in line. I should note that I am a 19 y/o female who is pretty small for my age).

Employee: (typing the info into the computer) “What year is the model?”
Me: “2000.”
Employee: “And what is the size of your engine?”
Me: “A 3.2L v6.”
(He goes on to ask what part I need, etc. The man behind me seems to be watching intently. I glance at him and smile politely before turning away. I guess he saw this as an opportunity to talk to me).
Customer: Hey, little girl, where is your father? Shouldn’t he be doing this instead of you?”
Me: (I’m not sure I’ve heard him right) “Uh…excuse me?”
Customer: “You’ll probably order the wrong part or something. I think a man should be doing this, just to be safe. You wouldn’t want to order the wrong part and have something happen to you car!”
Me: *speechless for a moment* …Sir, I actually know enough about cars and their parts to work here, but if I did I’d probably be fired very soon for telling off people like you who think women can’t understand machines because of our gender! Also, I have no idea where my father is, but thank you for your concern. Good day, sir.”
(The man’s face turned bright red, and he didn’t say anything else. A few minutes later an employee came from the back and said he could help the customer at the second register, and by the time I was almost done at the counter the man had checked out and left).
Employee, to me: “Judging by the way you handled that, you could probably work here after all!”
(I still doubted it, but it was nice to hear anyway!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!