Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #207202

, | Unfiltered | September 7, 2020

I have pulled a muscle from a past injury while unloading stock. It’s nothing major and I just need to take it easy for a couple of days. Everyone is cool with it except for a director who is doing a nationwide store visit to get a “feel” for the lower paid workers. There has recently been an announcement that jobs may need to be cut due to the company’s expected turnout being lower than forecast.

Director: I’m told you are usually in the stockroom, but I have seen you on the shop floor every day.

Me: I pulled my shoulder last week, so I’ve moved to shop floor duty to give it a rest.

Director: *looking panicked* But, I wasn’t told. Was it reported under RIDDOR?

Me: What has RIDDOR got to do with it?

Director: You shouldn’t be here, not with an injury like that.

I try to protest, but he is literally pushing me out of the store by this point. Once I’m outside he forbids me to come back until I have a doctor’s note. One of the managers has to bring my coat out for me.

I try to go back in for every shift, but he is always there, refusing me entry. I eventually make an appointment to see my doctor, but it is in two weeks and I can get it earlier because it isn’t serious enough. My manager says it will be fine, but to keep trying to come and the director will eventually calm down. They offer to pay me despite not being there. I manage to get a note and come for my next shift. The director looks at it and escorts me to the managers’ office, where my manager is currently occupying.

Director: I see you got a “note”. But I think we need to discuss your lack of attendance. You haven’t been here in three weeks, and you expect us to PAY YOU?!

Me: *furiously shouting* Seriously? You’re the one who stopped me coming in!

We rant at each other for a good while until my manager steps in and calms us down. The director leaves for his next visit, but not before “strongly” advising disciplinary action and dismissal.

That director didn’t make it to the end of his nationwide visit before being dismissed himself. Every branch he went to he tried to get at least one person dismissed for ridiculous situations he set up.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!