Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

2 Good 2 Be True, Part 2

, , , , | Right | October 26, 2011

(I work at a check cashing store and one of our biggest products is money orders. We advertise on TV and in huge signs all over the store that we sell free money orders. An old lady comes up to the counter one day and reads off a list of eleven money orders for various amounts totaling almost $2,500. After reading back and confirming, I go to get payment from her.)

Me: “All right, your total comes to $2,498.”

Customer: “Right.”

(She doesn’t do anything.)

Me: “Ma’am? It’s going to be $2,498 for those money orders.”

Customer: “Right.”

(She just stares at me.)

Me: “Okay, I need $2,498 from you.”

Customer: “But your sign says free money orders!”

Me: “Well, yes, we don’t charge for them, but–”

Customer: “They are supposed to be free!”

(I haven’t been at this job very long, so my manager hears the customer yelling and comes to see what’s going on.)

Manager: “Ma’am, what’s wrong?”

Customer: “He wants me to pay for my money orders!”

Manager: “Ma’am, money orders are always free, but–”

Customer: “Exactly! So, I want my money orders!”

Manager: “Ma’am, you still have to pay for them. We’re not just going to give you over two thousand dollars worth of money orders for free.”

Customer: “Well, I don’t see why they advertise free money orders if they’re not free.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!