Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #194417

, | Unfiltered | May 18, 2020

*I work at the front cash desk of a retail store. I have just finished cashing out a family. The father has paid with an American Visa card and has to sign for it. Typically, whenever an international card is used, the customer is not prompted to enter a PIN, regardless of if they use the chip reader, or the swipe reader. The back of the man’s card is not signed, so I must ask for another form of I.D.*

Me: Sir, I will just need something with a signature on it. You will need to sign for your card. Do you have anything with your signature on it?

Man: Yes, I have a driver’s license.

*The man presents his license.*

Me: Okay, could you please keep the driver’s license out for me, so that I can verify your signature on the receipt with the one on your I.D.?

Man: I don’t understand.

*I carefully explain that I need him to sign for his Visa, and that I need to verify the signature to prevent fraud.*

Man: This is ridiculous. I am not doing that, and I am not signing. I have never had to do that in my life!

Me: Sir, I’m sorry, but you have to sign for your card. It’s policy.

Man: *Getting very loud* THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY! I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM!

Me: *remaining calm* I don’t understand why it is such a big deal, sir. Its just a signature.

*The man signs the receipt*

Man: YOU KNOW WHAT, RETURN THESE THINGS. I DON’T WANT THEM, AND YOU ARE NOT GETTING MY MONEY

*I continue to remain calm, speaking in my normal, happy tone that I use with any customer, and appear eager to help the man, in an attempt to diffuse the tension.*

Me: Not a problem, sir. Although, I will just need to start with your phone number for the return.

*The man gives his phone number*

Me: Thank you, sir. Now, it appears you aren’t in our system for returns. I will need your last name, please.

Man: Why are you taking all of my information?! Are you taking it for personal use?!

Me: No, it is simply just for the return. unfortunately I cannot skip this, my computer physically will not let me. I’m sorry for any inconvenience.

*The man reluctantly gives his last, and first, name. I complete the return.*

Me: Okay, so now I will just need your signature on these two receipts to show that the money went back on your card, and that the items were returned.

*The man angrily signs both receipts and storms off.*

About five minutes later, the same man comes back into the store and demands me to get my manager. When my manager comes to talk to the man (who’s family has now wandered back in to help defend him), the man yells at my manager, calling me a, “piece of cr*p” and saying that I “am a disgrace to this company and deserves to be fired.” The customer carries on for a few moments, stating that I do not deserve to have a job at all, when my manager, who has been trying to get a word in, raises his voice back at the man and tells him to leave, otherwise he is going to call security. The man states that he is going to take his business elsewhere, to which my manager replies with, “good riddance. We certainly do not support anyone coming back to shop here who disrespects my employees this way.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!