Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #192216

, , , | Unfiltered | April 18, 2020

(I work at a pretty popular low-cost grocery store in the MA/NH area. At this particular time, it is the end of my shift, and I have been on one of the “Express 25 Items or Less” register. Another cashier comes up to my register while I am beginning the payment with my current customer, who’s an older woman and has been quite kind to me during the whole transaction.)

Me: Your total is $8.94, ma’am.

Customer: Okay. *fishes out a $10 bill and hands it to me*

Me: *checks the $10 bill and then follows through with the cash payment and hands her change out, counting it* Your change is $1.06, and here’s your receipt; have a great day!

Customer: Where’s the rest of it?! I gave you a $20 bill!!

Me: Ma’am, you gave me a $10 bill, so your change is $1.06.

Customer: No! I GAVE YOU A $20!

(At this point, I keep trying to explain to her that she had, in fact, given me a $10. The customer is getting quite upset.)

Customer: How sure are you that I gave you a $10 and not a $20?

Me: Almost positive.

(I’m about to flash my register light for an assistant/manager when one is already coming toward the block of four express registers.)

Assistant Manager: What’s up?

Me: This customer insists that she gave me a $20 for her $8.94 order, when I am pretty darn sure she gave me a $10.

Customer: I GAVE HER A $20!

Assistant Manager: (to the customer) Well, I can take her over to the customer service booth to have her drawer counted, and then we’ll know whether she gave you the right change or not.

Customer: (reluctantly) Okay.

Me: Okay.

(I grab my stuff from the register and sign out of it, leaving the next cashier as I take my drawer to the customer service booth. We had the drawer counted, and as it turns out, I had given my customer the correct change. My assistant manager explained this to the customer then and she left. I haven’t seen her in the store at all since then. She couldn’t trick me, whether it was an accident or not.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!