Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #190982

, , | Unfiltered | March 30, 2020

I’m working as a waitress at a small town southeast 24-hour diner chain similar to the chain named after a breakfast food, this is back in 2009 when it came out with a new menu. Some food previously offered as combos are no longer available as combos. Two regulars sit down in my section the very morning we implement the new menu:

Woman #1: “I’d like the chicken wing basket please.”

Me: “I’m terribly sorry ma’am, I have to inform you that we are now serving a new menu and while we still have wings and fries, we no longer offer them as a combo. I’ll have to charge you for the items separately.”

Woman #2: “What?! That’s ridiculous! You clearly still have it! Why else would you have that up?” -points to a poster on the window advertising the wing combo which night shift was supposed to have removed-

Me: “I apologize for the confusion ma’am, but we no longer have that combo. I don’t know why that poster is still up, it was supposed to have been removed by now. We do have some new combos which you may like, would you like to try one of those?”

Woman #1: “No! I want the wing combo! Why are you making this so f***ing difficult? I don’t want to pay separately, the combo is cheaper! Give me the combo!”

(Note: the separate items together are only about a dollar more expensive than the combo was)

Me: “Ma’am, I already told you we no longer have the combo-”

Woman #1: “Shut up! Get me your manager right now! I won’t tolerate you lying to me like this!”

(I grab the manager who has already heard the entire exchange as the diner is a very small building and tail behind him as he speaks to the women)

Manager: “Good morning ladies, (my name) informed me you had some questions about the new menu changes?”

Woman #1: “You need to fire this b**** for lying to us! I know you have the wing combo! -points to poster- I’ve ordered it before and now she’s refusing to give me what I asked for!”

Manager: “Ma’am, you’ve now been informed four times that we have a new menu and no longer offer the wing combo. (My name) has even offered to show you some of our new deals. Even if you ordered the wings and fries separately, it would barely be a dollar more than what you would have previously paid. But we do not have the wing combo, you’ll have to either deal with being charged separately or order something else. (My name) has not lied to you about anything nor has she refused to serve you anything we already have.”

Both women at this point start yelling at him, calling both of us liars, saying they’re have our jobs and they’ll never come here again and finally they leave still screaming at us.

Manager: “Go take the poster down, today’s going to be hectic enough introducing the new menu, I don’t want another scene like this. (Night shift supervisor) is going to get an earful from me later!”

I walk outside and take it down with both women just sitting in their car giving me death glares. Later that week, the manager tells me that the owner got a complaint saying that I blatantly refused to serve them and then “threw a fit ripping the poster down just to spite them.” and wrote me up himself even with the manager defending me. I quit a month later after a cook assaulted me in front of customers during lunch rush and the owner blamed me for it!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!