Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #190970

, | Unfiltered | March 30, 2020

(I work at a clothing store where we always have coupons out that “grow” with your purchase. They can be found online/in coupon apps, or you get them in the mail. Like all coupons, they have exclusions that are clearly printed on them. My coworker, a new hire, is helping a customer at the register.)

Coworker: Alright, your total is $55.

Customer: I have a coupon. *shoves coupon at my coworker*

Coworker: It looks like you’re about $20 under the minimum for this coupon for your $25 off. You can grab something from clearance, underwear, or smaller things at the register to boost yourself up there without spending too much more.

Customer: *heaves a big, dramatic sigh and instead, marches to the perfume display and grabs a $50+ perfume before slamming it on the counter* Here.

Coworker: Alright! That’ll definitely get you over. *scans the perfume and the coupon and presses a few buttons on the screen before scanning the coupon again. Then she asks for help in her earpiece.*

Me: *walks back into the register* What’s up?

Coworker: The coupon isn’t working.

Me: *looks at the register screen* Oh, that’s because your total before the perfume is under $75. You’d need to spend like $20 more before the coupon will take anything off because it doesn’t work with perfume.

Customer: EXCUSE ME? What do you mean it doesn’t work on perfume? I buy perfume here with coupons all the time!

Me: Yeah, unfortunately our coupons do have exclusions and the perfume is one of them.

Customer: Where does it say that?!

Me: *takes the coupon from my coworker and reads the first sentence on the back* Right here- it says it’s not valid in closing stores, on [3rd party brand body shapers], [designer brand] fragrance, or licensed sports merchandise.

Customer: Ugh. How do you know this is [designer brand] fragrance?!

Me: It’s right on the opposite side of your box, as well as on the display table.

Customer: Well I’ve never seen that here before. Who reads the back of coupons anyway? Not me!

(Needless to say, she refused to buy the perfume. I also think she should start reading what she can and can’t use the coupons with to spare her unnecessary grief and embarrassment!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!