Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #189011

, , , | Unfiltered | March 9, 2020

(I am working the customer service desk for a well known chain retailer whose logo is a giant letter. Part of my job is to take security tags off if a cashier missed one. However, I am required to verify the item is already paid for before doing so. I will often say to customers that the camera has to see me check so they know it’s a part of the job and not a reflection on their character. Most people have no problem with this. But one day…)

Customer:Excuse me, miss, can you take the security tag off this purse? The cashier forgot to do it.
Me:No problem ma’am, may I see your receipt for it first? The cameras have to see me check it.
Customer:It’s ok, here you go.(She shows me the receipt and I take off the tag and hand it back.)
Me:Here you go ma’am.
(Note, the customer and the lady next to her are both black, I am white)
Customer 2:Just goes to show that you have to be the right color.
Me:Ma’am, I assure you, that has nothing-
Customer 2:No! Dont you try that! I know! If you’re the wrong color, it’s a different story!
(Customer 1, who was the one I asked for a receipt from, rolls her eyes at the second woman and leaves. Customer 2 who did not apparently know the first at all, continues her rant. Fed up, I finally interrupt her)
Me:Ma’am! Race had nothing to do with it! The president or Jesus could ask the same request and I would STILL have to check the receipt!
(The customer yells at me again and screams she will let my manager know. Ten minutes later my manager, who is also black, asks me about it and I explain)
Manager:Wait, so she didn’t know that other lady and she just butted in?
Me:Yes.
Manager:Oh, then just forget her. You’re good.
(This is not the first time I’ve been accused of being racist for following policies…)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!