Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #187709

, , , | Unfiltered | March 2, 2020

(My store sells all sorts of random stuff. Home decor and crafts mostly, but we actually have really nice sheets, towels… and rugs. Room rugs, 5×7, 8×10, and every other common size. Customers often need help getting rugs off the racks they’re hung on, which can be problematic because our stores operate in duos, regardless of size and inventory level.)

Customer (to manager): I’d like to look at a rug. I need it down and presented.

Me: (Knowing my manager is, frankly, our best worker and shouldn’t be taken from the front for as long as this will inevitably take) I’ve got it. No worries.

(Along the way tot he back, I make standard retail small talk and we arrive at the rugs. Naturally, she stops at our two biggest and heaviest–8×10, 100% wool.)

Customer: This one will do.

Me: Uh, which one? You’re sort of standing in front of two.

Customer: Both, obviously.

Me: O-of course. (I size both up and realize she wants not one, but two 8×10 rugs put into a roughly 6×7 space.) Could I keep these folded in half?

Customer: Do you think they’re going to be folded at home?

Me: Well, no, but I don’t really have room.

Customer: I’m not buying anything unless I can see it the way we’d have it.

(Whatever, I’ll move a few units and put it down. However, as I’m moving the first rug…)

Customer: What ARE you doing?!

Me: You said you wanted it displayed, right?

Customer: You’re totally manhandling it!

Me: I mean, it’s like 150 to 200 pounds. I kind of have to put some effort into it, you know?

Customer: Is this how you treat ALL of your goods here? No wonder I haven’t heard of this store.

(I shake my head and ignore her, putting the rug on the floor.)

Me: There you go!

Customer: YOU JUST STEPPED ON IT! I BETTER GET A MARKDOWN!

Me: I’m not aware that I did, but I assure you my shoes are clea–

Customer: I’ll be asking for a discount.

(She takes a few pictures of the rug, including a selfie, before I silently get the next one down. I have to lay one on top of the other.)

Customer: Do you think I’ll have this rug on top of another rug at home? Do you? Hmm?

Me: Miss, I don’t know what you’re going to do with it, but I don’t have anything else to do here. Thank you for your understanding.

(That shuts her up. After a few more small rugs, she gives me a fake smile of thanks and heads to the front. I haul the rugs back up to their racks, and arrive just in time for…)

Customer, to Manager: It’s not like he was a lot of help. I could’ve done that myself, better AND faster. I just didn’t want to get the dust from your rugs on my hands.

(She was in her 60s, about 5’5” and tiny. I’m between 6’2” and 6’4” depending on how tired I am, 300 pounds, and used to play football.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!