Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #187661

, , | Unfiltered | February 29, 2020

My store currently has a display of adult coloring books, and I am working the register closest to it and to the front doors. A woman comes storming inside and marches up to the display. I welcome her, but otherwise don’t pay much attention to her as I am serving a long line of queued customers. Until…

Coloring Book Woman (CBW): (screaming at the top of her lungs) HOW MUCH ARE THE BOOKS?!

Me: Prices vary. Each book has its price listed above the barcode on the back. We also have a price scanner right there on the end of that aisle if you want to scan it.

CBW: I CAN’T TELL HOW MUCH THESE ARE!

Me: Again, prices vary and are listed above the barcode on each book. That one you’re holding is $9.99.

CBW: WHAT ONES HAVE BUTTERFLIES?

Me: Well, the ones with butterflies on the covers are a good place to start. Like that one, “Art Deco Butterflies.”

(The CBW comes storming over to my register with several books in hand. She SLAMS them down on top of the merchandise of the customer I am currently serving and shoves the elderly woman out of the way)

CBW: HOW MUCH ARE THESE? LET ME BUY THEM.

Me: (in my “mom” voice). No, you need to wait your turn. I am currently serving this guest here. I told you the prices are on the back, and there is a customer price-scanner right over there. Now please move out of the way.

CBW: I WON’T UNTIL YOU HELP ME!

(The customer I am serving is a regular who I have good rapport with and who knows our store gets more than its fair share of crazies for some reason, so she motions for me to go on and help the CBW a little bit).

Me: Here, let me show you where the prices are. See, right here over the top left corner of the barcode, it says $9.99. Each book has its price displayed this way.

CBW: Well aren’t you a presumptuous little b****! How DARE you ASSUME I can read! Can you BE any more classist or ableist?!

(I’m in shock and can think of nothing to say that won’t get me fired. The little old lady regular comes to my aid though and saves the day.)

Regular: Well, she’s not presumptuous or a b****, but you’re right, she shouldn’t have assumed you can read. I mean, you only have 3 teeth at, what, 45 years old? You can’t use an inside voice to save your life, apparently. And you couldn’t manage to get both boobs tucked into your shirt today, so you’re right, she should have known something like reading was beyond your abilities. Good job correctly using your vocabulary words for the day, though! (Seriously, the lady had her shirt’s neckline pulled down around one (bra-clad) breast so that it was completely hanging out).

(CBW walked out, and that regular will definitely be getting good discounts for awhile :)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!