Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #18612

Unfiltered | March 6, 2017

(I work hospitality for a grocery store chain, which is fancy talk for in the person who hands out samples. I’m pretty lucky in that most customers treat me pretty well and my bosses and coworkers are unusually nice, so I don’t have much to complain about. The only problems I get tend to come from one specific rule.

I don’t know if this is a store or state rule, but I am not allowed to either hand a child under 13 a sample or let them take one for themselves. An adult must be the one to take the sample. This rule, while are up for good reason has caused some tantrums.

I was handing out ice cream one day and saw a boy of about five years old come up by himself. I knew what I had to say, though I dreaded what was coming next.)

Boy: Hi, can I have some?

Me: I’m sorry. I’ll need your mommy or daddy to give you a sample.

Boy: (gives a sweet smile) Ok. I understand. Bye-bye.

(I was super impressed by his attitude, especially given his age. As time went on, though, I pretty learned that was the rule. Kids and teens took it well when I told them the rule. Nine times out of ten, adults did to, but sadly, all my worst tantrums and chewing puts came from parents and grandparents. If only they’d have the maturity of that five year old.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!