Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #18502

Unfiltered | July 18, 2016

(I am volunteering as a counselor at a half way house. Most of the residents are understandably dejected as no one comes here if they have any better place to stay. The organization is run by the local sheriffs department and is thus very strict with the residents. My job is to offer counsel to the residents having a hard time dealing with their situation and to hand out information that may be helpful such as low income housing sites. I’m in the info booth with another volunteer at this time.)

Resident: Hey can you guys do anything about the AC? It’s way too hot in here.

Me: I’m sorry, we aren’t allowed to, the only thing we can do is talk to one of the officers. That’s unfortunately a bit above us on the totem pole here.

Resident: Well at least you aren’t at the bottom of the pole like us. (She gestures sadly at another resident standing with her.)

Me: Oh no, we’re here for you, that makes you guys above us. So we’re at the bottom! (I gesture to the other volunteer in the booth. The resident smiles bigger than I’ve seen any resident I’ve seen there.)

Resident: Haha well ok then! (She walks off even laughing a little.)

Fellow volunteer: That was amazing!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!