Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #18434

Unfiltered | May 2, 2016

This takes place at Fort Meade, the military base. I am in line to buy some groceries when it is my turn to pay. You must either be wearing a uniform or show your military ID and, as I am wearing street clothes, I realize I need my ID, which I have forgotten. To retrieve it would take nearly an hour, as the bus schedule is infrequent and I have no car. I am very hungry and anxious to get dinner started.

Cashier: ID please?

Me: I don’t have it with me.

Cashier: No ID, no food.

Me: I have money. Can’t you make an exception?

Cashier: I could lose my job.

Defeated, I put my things next to the bagging area and walk outside to cry. I can’t help but question why in the world you need military ID just to purchase some granola bars. A lady I have never met sees me upset and asks what is the matter.

Me: I have money, but the cashier won’t let me buy anything because I don’t have my ID.

Lady: I’ll buy your groceries for you.

Me: No, I wouldn’t want to inconvenience you.

Lady: I insist.

I guide her around the store as I recollect what I wanted to purchase. As promised, she paid. I profusely thanked her and went to catch the next bus, extremely grateful for a stranger’s assistance.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!