Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #180430

, , | Unfiltered | December 25, 2019

(Often when a customer comes in looking for a shredder, they’re getting one because they have a box of stuff they already need to shred. Many times they tend to overload it within it’s first few uses and wear it out, breaking it in the process. To rectify this, i usually recommend to those customers to instead go to our Copy and Print area, where shredding services are offered, as well as a smaller printer for day-to-day use)

(On this occasion, i happened to be finishing up with one customer with a shredder, as another comes up on her phone)

Me: Yes ma’am, how can i help you?

Customer: Yeah hold on (puts down phone to talk to me) Is that a good shredder? *points at the shredder being taken away by the other customer*

Me: Yes ma’am it is a pretty good one

Customer: Get me one

Me: Well, hold on, mind if i ask a few questions? (she doesnt seem happy with my response, but she doesnt stop me from continuing) Is this to replace a shrdder you already have? or do you have like a box of stuff that you need to shred waiting at home?

Customer: I got a box at home.

Me: Well, if you’ve just got a box of stuff to shred, i may want to recommend you take that box to our Copy and Print desk, they offer shredding services for 75 cents a pound, and there’s a coupon online to make the first five pounds fr-

Customer: Why are you offering me something i dont want?

Me: Uh, i just want to make sure you get the right service for what you need

Customer: I know what i need, now get me one of those shredders!

Me: …. Okay… (I decide not to argue with her about it, starting to grab one of the shredders from midstock)

Customer: how much is it?

Me: It’s $89 after an easy rebate, but you’ll be paying $120 today, and get the rest back later

Customer: (already back on the phone talking, ignoring me)

Me: (i pull down the shredder and hold it out for her to take. the box is a bit big, but mostly its just an empty bin for the paper to settle in, while the motor doesnt weigh too much at all) I would really recommend that you get out Warranty on this, its an extra $20 but if ANYTHING happens to your product in the next…. (customer ignores me holding out the shredder and begins to walk away) Okay… i’ll just leave this up front for you…

(I take the shredder up to the front register, leaving it with the cashier and continue helping other customers. a few minutes later i get a call to help a customer with a carry out. i walk up and see her, still on her phone, having not even attempted to touch the box. she certainly didnt seem unable to carry it, aside from a phone in her hand. I take it out to her car and slip it into the back, noticing she already has a VERY large containor with paper filled t othe top)

Me: Ma’am? is that the shredding you need to do?

Customer: I do my OWN shredding.

me: … Okay… have a nice day.

(I walk back in, and the cashier immediately tell me how she was rude to her as well. She offered the warranty as well, and complained that we were stealing money from her,and how ‘careful’ she would be with the shredder. she also got fussy when the price at the register wasnt $89, even though we both explained how online rebates worked. never during her visit did she take away her phone.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!