Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #178364

, , | Unfiltered | November 25, 2019

(The repair clinic I work at is a non-profit organization involving many low-income residents, mostly Chinese. One day, a man with very broken English comes in, nearly running)
Man: “HELLO!”
Me (startled): “woah! Uh, hi, how can I help you?”
Man: “You! Help me, viseetah! Viseetah!”
Me: “um…. I don’t understand… you’re a visitor?”
(The man gives me this exaggerated frowning face)
Man: “Viseetah, you have! Viseetah!”
(The man abruptly runs away, leaving me confused. A minute later he comes running back in, showing me this old computer with a Pentium III and must have come from the late 90s.)
Man: “You help now! Viseetah!”
(I still don’t understand what he wants, so I pull out a piece of paper and gesture him to write it down.”
Paper: “VisTA”
Me: “Oooh! You want Windows Vista!”
Man: “Yes! Viseetah!”
Me: “Yeah… I’m sorry but I can’t help you with that…”
(The man looks mortified. I know there is no chance I can explain to him why he can’t and shouldn’t use Vista, so I go to the front desk assistant, who speaks fluent Chinese.)
Me: “Hi [assistant]. I don’t know how to explain to this man that his PC is too old to handle Vista and that we don’t support it. Could you please explain this to him, and ask him what he wants it for?”.
Assistant (after talking to the man): “He wants it so he can use a webcam to talk to his daughter in China”.
(I knew that he didn’t need Vista for this, so I set up the webcam for him. I help him set his computer back up in his apartment, and he insists that I stick around so I can meet his daughter.)
Man: “This fantastic!”
(The daughter sees me in the camera and clearly looks uncomfortable, probably because I do too. Her and the man are talking to each other in Chinese, and eventually the connection gives out.)
Man: “So… Viseetah?”
Me: “Nope, won’t help.”
Man: “Oh… here!”
(The man gives me a bag of oranges, and I return to my office).

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!