Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #168458

, , | Unfiltered | September 30, 2019

I work at a farm where the public can come visit to look at old farm equipment, see an assortment of different animals and birds up close, feed the goats, and play on big farm style playgrounds. We also have a cafe and gift shop as well as tractor-train rides and puppet shows. It costs $9 per person to get in but children under 2 are free. ( All of this information is on our website and the price per person is in big bold letters / numbers beside the front gate entrance where people pay.) A lady approaches the entrance gate with 3 children. She says one is under two, so I told her the cost was $27.00.

Customer: Okay I will pay cash and can I get a receipt please? That way I can get the parents to pay me back from my daycare.
Me: Of course, no problem! *Hands her receipt and change.*
Customer: *Holding receipt* Does it have the breakdown of cost per person?”
Me: *Motioning to the receipt in her hand and then to the sign beside her.* “Yes it does, and it is $9 per person but children under two years of age are free.”
Customer: *Blank stare*
Me “…. Is there a problem?”
Customer ” $9.00 per person!? Where does it say that? How am I supposed to know that before I come?!”
Me ” All of our information is listed online, and you are welcome to call ahead of time as well to inquire about pricing. The sign beside us also lists our prices and so does you receipt.”
Customer ” Wow, I didn’t realize it was so much money! That is really expensive. Why does it cost so much? Why is it $9.00 per person!?”
Me ” We have to pay our staff to be here, without them we could not run the place. We also have to feed all of the animals and ensure they are in good health, maintain the property so it is safe and interactive, and there are also property taxes, we have many acres here. Those are just a few of the reasons though. *Looks into her eyes and smiles*
Customer: “Ohh… right. Still seems expensive…Well I need to write down the number per person on the receipt so I can tell parents.”
Before I can respond she grabs the pencil out of my hand and writes $9 per person on the receipt, even though it already says the exact cost per person on it. I just stare at her as she walks away.

Two minutes later I hear someone knocking on my window. It is the same lady I just assisted, she is standing right beside our big bright sign that states the schedule for the train rides.

Customer: “What time is the next train ride??”
Me: ” Oh yes, the schedule is right beside you on that yellow sign actually!”
Customer: *Looks to her left*, (the sign is on her right) “Where?! I don’t see it??”
Me: “It is on your right side, and the next train is at 11:00am.”
Customer: * Still looking all around herself but not directly at the sign* “What time is it now??”
Me: 10:45am.”
Customer: “So, when is the train?”
Me: “…. 11:00am, in 15 minutes, you can line up at the fence to your left soon to be early. ”
Customer walks off in the opposite direction for the train without saying anything else or directly looking at the schedule.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!