Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #163251

, , | Unfiltered | September 15, 2019

I’ve worked at a popular restaurant that serves off-the-wall pizzas and local brews for four years, and of all the nutty things I’ve heard from customers in that time, this one, that came from a very tall and thin middle-aged woman, takes the cake.

Customer: (to my coworker, at the register) I need to speak to a manager.

Coworker: Sure, but is there anything I can help you with?

Customer: It’s about my server, actually.

(My coworker gets our shift supervisor, who politely asks what she can do.)

Customer: Look, I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but why do you hire so many overweight girls to work here?

(The supervisor is a quick thinker but this catches even her off-guard. Within earshot, my coworker and I – two of the overweight girls in question, incidentally – exchange shocked glances.)

Customer: I mean, it’s not my business if they want to overeat, but my waitress is fat, and she’s stuffed into this tight T-shirt and daisy-dukes, and she’s…jiggling! They all are. I don’t want to see that while I’m trying to eat. It’s disgusting.

(We do have a relaxed dress code, and shorts are allowed so long as the inseam is at least 4 inches. This server’s shorts are probably 6″ or longer, and her T-shirt not clingy.)

Supervisor: (very politely) I really don’t know what to tell you, ma’am. [Server] is in proper uniform. And by the way, we choose our staff based on skills and work ethics, not on their appearance. She’s a great worker and she’s doing her best to make sure you and your party have a good time. I’m sorry that you’re offended, but there’s nothing we can do.

Customer: I want to move over there. (points to an empty table nearby, in a section where one of the slimmer servers is working)

Supervisor: That’s not going to happen. We’re on a 30-minute wait and we’re just about to seat a new party at that table.

Customer: … (pouting) I just don’t want to look at it while I’m eating. I know it’s none of my business…

Supervisor: (cheerfully) You’re absolutely right, ma’am. Thanks for your feedback, and have a great night!

(In the back, we vented our outrage by joking about sending the customer to [a national chain restaurant notorious for hiring servers based on appearance and figure], and about challenging the customer to a race across the dining room).

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!