Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #161882

, , , | Unfiltered | September 1, 2019

In our store, we have a regular deal where you get a ten dollar coupon for every certain amount you spend. Because of this, I try to inform a customer whenever they’re within ten dollars of getting the coupon. We also sell several small items around the register for the exact purpose of filling out the bill. In this case I ring up a man and his family who have several coupons, including a percentage and a conditional dollars-off.

Me: And the total comes to [Price]. I’m afraid you’re still a bit short for your ten-of-thirty coupon. Furthermore, the socks are buy-one-get-one-half-off and you’re only five dollars away from your [Store Coupon].

Wife: Okay, give me a minute.

She walks back to get a few more items, leaving me and her husband in silence.

Me: You know, those chocolate bars are only 2.95. Just two of them would get you the [Store Coupon].

Man: Nah, it’s okay.

We both wait some more. At this point, a line is starting to build.

Me: Would you like me to suspend this for you? I can hold the items here at the register.

Man: Yeah, that’d be great.

Later, the man and his family return. They’ve brought a few more items with them, one of which finally makes them eligible for the ten-off-thirty.

Me: Okay, your total comes to price. Also, due to the ten-off-thirty activating, you’re still five dollars short of getting [Store Coupon]. Would you like to get something more to fill it out? We have some 2.95 chocolate bars right here, plus a few other options on our gift card kiosk.

Man: Nah, just cancel it.

Me: Void the order? You sure?

Man: Yeah.

I void the order, and start to take the items down to the recovery bin.

Man: Wait, give those to me.

Me: Sir, if you don’t want these, we can reshelve them for you.

Man: No, I do want them.

Me: Okay?

Man: I’m just gonna buy them on the other end.

He walks away with the items, and I turn to my coworker mouthing ‘did that just happen?’

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!