Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #160184

, | Unfiltered | August 21, 2019

(I am filling in at a branch in another city for the day. One of the newer employees has just picked up the phone.)

Employee #1: [Bank name], this is [employee’s name], how can I help you?

(Silence as the customer responds)

Employee #1: And do you have the account holder with you?

(Silence as the customer responds)

Employee #1: I’m sorry, I can’t give you that information unless I get permission from the account holder.

(Long silence)

Employee #1: I just need to check with one of my coworkers. Please hold. *places the call on hold, turns around* Can I confirm that someone has an account here to a business?

Me: Only if the account holder is present at the business.

Employee #1: That’s what I thought. They’re not, but this lady is yelling at me that it’s perfectly legal for me to give her that information, even if the account holder isn’t there.

Me: Geez. No, it’s not. Do you want me to talk to her?

Employee #1: Yes, please! *hands the phone over, I take it off hold*

Me: [Bank name], this is [My Name], how can I help you?

Business rep: Oh, good. My name is [name], and I work for [business]. I’m looking to confirm that [Customer Name] has an account at your bank.

Me: Do you have [Customer Name] there with you?

Business rep: Not at this time.

Me: I’m sorry, we cannot provide that information without the customer present. It would be a violation of [Bank Name’s] privacy rules.

Business rep: I completely understand. Thank you for your time. Have a good day! *hangs up*

Employee #1: How did you do that?!

Me: Do I sound scary or something? Because that’s the only explanation I can think of.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!