Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #151756

, , , | Unfiltered | May 24, 2019

(This story takes place when I am about to turn 15. I have a placement at this business for two weeks of work experience, but I now work there full-time.)

/A woman storms into our restaurant area, furiously demanding to see the manager with a laminated piece of paper in hand, but I can’t see what’s on it from where I’m standing. Two of my coworkers nearby, Bartender 1 (who is the assistant manager) and Bartender 2 assist her. They both hold a brief conversation with her before Bartender 1 takes her to a table, presumably to talk things through with her, and Bartender 2 disappears, laughing hysterically.
While all this is going on, I am polishing wine glasses and cutlery with Bartender 3./

Me: What’s going on over there?
Bartender 3: No idea. We should ask (Bartender 1) after she’s gone, if she ever does!

A while later, I go to get a fresh tea towel which involves me going past reception. Bartender 1 has gone, but I notice Bartender 4 (who is the manager) is attempting to sort things out with her but she sees me pass by and manically waves the laminated piece of paper at me.
It reads in big black letters, underlined in red ink:
Surcharge:
An additional sum added to the usual cost or amount paid.

I don’t know much about business terms having only been here half a week, but I pick up enough to realise she is here to complain about a meal not being “the agreed price” or something similar.
When I get back, Bartender 1 and Bartender 3 are quietly talking.

Bartender 1: Basically, the woman is complaining that we added a £4 surcharge to her son’s wedding breakfast and claims we ruined it.
Me and Bartender 3: That’s crazy!
Bartender 1: I don’t know anything about surcharges but I checked the room tab and the amount is exactly the same as all the other breakfasts people have booked. What’s her problem?
Bartender 3: Maybe she thought it was a complimentary breakfast as he was getting married, and we “surcharged” him for no reason? If that’s the case, that’s absolutely ridiculous.
Bartender 1: Yeah, that’s absolute bull. We very clearly told them at booking that the breakfast would be extra if they wanted it here. I mean, you can’t just get a free pass just because you’re getting married!
Bartender 3: I offered them complimentary champagne when they checked in, as well, but they said they were going straight up to bed! (Bartender 4) says we don’t always have to play by the rules, within reason, if it keeps the customer’s mouths shut but honestly this is their fault entirely. How stupid can you get?

Bartender 2 comes back, still crying with laughter. He does not speak English natively, nor does he come from here, but he still speaks it very well.

Bartender 2: Guys, guys! (He looks around before beckoning us closer, in between fits of giggles.) Okay, I was laughing when she comes in, because she come in and she told me “My name is Mrs Birch!” and I start laughing so hard.
Bartender 1: Why?
Bartender 2: (lowering his voice) ‘Birch’ means small penis in my language. Which is what she is! She is a small cock if she think her son get free breakfast just because he gets married!

(We all burst into laughter. I never did find out what happened to Mrs Birch but we still have the laminated piece of paper and now wave it at each other as an inside joke. Mr Birch, I hope you had a great wedding and I hope your mother hasn’t completely embarrassed you!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!