Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #149588

, , | Unfiltered | May 7, 2019

(I am working the box office with an employee who needs to be trained in a few things—he knows the basics, but hasn’t worked a busy night. A man exits the theater and waits in the line to buy tickets from my coworker. Neither I nor my coworker recognize him. Note that it is our policy not to assume anyone is a senior.)

Customer: I asked for senior tickets!

Coworker: Alright, sir, just a moment, I’ll take care of that. [To me] How do I do this?

[I have my own line, but give instructions as best as I can—he’s having to learn on the fly, but he’s patient as I walk him through, as is my customer.]

Coworker: Okay, do I just give him the five dollars?

Me: No, you have to click “Sell,” and it’ll take you to the screen—it will say how he paid. [I finish my current customer and look at my coworker’s screen. It appears that he paid with a gift card, and we have to put the balance back on that, or we have to have a manager.] Okay, sir, I just need the gift card you paid with to give you the refund for the lower price.

Customer: I don’t have it!

Coworker: [To me] What do I do?

Me: You’ll have to get a manager.

Coworker: Okay.

Customer: You should’ve sold me the right tickets in the first place! You don’t know what you’re doing!

[I’m already taking care of another customer, and the family behind him has children—they’re snickering at how abrupt and mean the customer is being.]

Me: Sir, he’s learning.

Customer: I SEE THAT!

Me: No one learns instantly, sir, and he’s doing his best.

Customer: Well, while he’s doing that, my movie’s ticking away! You stay out of it!

[I’m utterly appalled. I can’t even find something to say to him, and turn back to my customer, who’s waited with utter patience for me to help my coworker.]

Customer: I’ll just come back AFTER my movie, when you figure it out!

[My coworker stares, just as I do, and watches him stalk away.]

Coworker: …What do I do?

Me: Go ahead and sell tickets. When we find a manager, we’ll explain what happened. I’ll write a note to go with the tickets. [Turning back to my customer, I can tell I’m shaking—I’m upset, as there was no reason for him to abuse my coworker that way.] Sorry about that, sir. Here’s your tickets, and your 3D glasses.

My customer: I hope he was abused as a child to treat you like that. [Scowling, but then he smiles.] Thank you. [Meets my eyes.] You look like you could use a genuine one of those.

Me: [My mouth falls open, and I don’t know what to say to the first part of that, but I’m thankful he’s not angry for the wait.] …Thank you, sir. Truly.

[The following customers are also very kind, and when the line is gone, a manager finally arrives. After explaining the situation, she puts the refunded amount on a new gift card, and promises she will wait outside the theater as the movie ends so that he can’t cause more trouble, and assures both of us that we’re not in trouble.]

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!